Business owners count losses after high power voltage destroys gadgets

Business in Hola, Tana River County came to a stand still on Tuesday after a power default occasioned by high voltage blew off electronic gadgets.

Owners of cyber cafes, hotels and residential houses in Hola, Tana River County have recounted loss of property worth millions in an incident that took place on Monday night.

“I was called early in the Morning to assess the situation in my shop after some residents claimed losses, only to find the shop smelling of burnt substance, “said Peter Ayaga , a cyber cafe owner.

Mr Peter says he has since taken up the issue with the Kenya Power officers, who have instead ignored him despite raising the issue twice with the authorities.

More than six houses ,three cyber cafes and two hotels have since claimed to have called the authorities to assess damage,repair default and restore power, appeals the Kenya Power authorities are yet to respond to.

“Having seen no goodwill from the company, I recorded an OB with the police and I will press for legal charges if they will not solve it in time, “said Mr Ayaga.

Reached for comment Deputy station manager Richard Boen said they had received the reports but were yet to assess extent of damage.

He said the high power voltage could have been as a result of a faulty transformer, following a short accident where the Company’s truck ended up colliding with posts of an electric transformer.

“We have since sent a team to make some repairs on the transformer with default and we shall visit the affected customers to assess damage and chart way foward,”he said.

He also said the company will review all connections in the area affected, as some were connected illegally by unscrupulous electricians, hence similar results.