Kilifi ‘killer’ cops detained, to be charged with murder on Valentine’s Day

Two police officers who shot dead a 17 year-old boy at Mariakani in Kilifi County claiming they were on a mission to recover a stolen truck have finally been charged with murder.

Simon Oyoo and Amos Kiptoo who are attached to Mariakani Police Station are accused of killing Kazungu Katana who was helping to push a vehicle stuck in mud after a heavy downpour on June 26, last year.

Today, the two accused presented themselves before Malindi Resident Judge Weldon Korir for a mention after a warrant of arrest issued against them.

They however did not plead to the charge and Justice Korir directed they were remanded at Malindi Police Station until Thursday for plea.

This after prosecution counsel Babra Zombo urged court to allow the suspects be detained at the police station to enable them undergo mental examination before pleading to the charge.

“This will enable the investigation officer escort them to Malindi sub county hospital for preparation of mental assessment report which shall be availed in court in the next two days,” she said.

But the accused lawyer Matete Katoto opposed the application saying the accused are police officers who have cooperated with the investigation officer throughout the investigation.

The magistrate directed they be remanded until February 14 to plead for the murder charge.

Meanwhile, Muslims for Human Rights rapid response officer Francis Auma called upon speedy prosecution of suspects.

They spoke outside Malindi courts after the sitting where they said the death has negatively affected the victims’ friends, relatives and family of the victim.

Family members of the slain standard seven pupils turned emotional and wept in public after learning the officers had been detained.

Kazungu Fondo 55 the deceased father and Ndoko Kazungu 30 the mother could not hold down tears upon recalling their late son.

The deceased’s mother could barely talk as she just cried seeming to find the loss unbearable.

Fondo a father of six openly condemned the killing of his innocent son.

“I will not see him again, am so bitter about it,’’ he said.

The father said he was happy that the officers had been detained and would be charged saying justice should prevail.