Sagini’s Last Suspect Puts Up Defense

The last accused in Junior Sagini’s eye gouging case put her defense appearing to contradict her statement and accomplices.

Rael Nyakerario in whose custody the minor disappeared and was found with his eyes removed appeared before Kisii Senior Resident Magistrate Christine Ogweno.

The magistrate ruled the prosecution file their submissions within 14 days and the defense followed suit for confirmation and highlighting  by the two sides on May 26, 2023.

Nyakerario admitted she canned Sagini, her grandson at 10 am for allegedly defecating in a sufuria before he disappeared from home as of 3 pm.

Earlier, Sagini’s caregiver, Josephine Karimi, had testified that the grandmother had disciplined the child for misplacing a water container he had been given to collect water from the nearby stream.

Pascipica claimed her seven neighbors whom she had informed about the child’s disappearance assisted her in the search or came to testify in her favor.

The accused listed as the second in the case further claimed she had not talked to her daughter-in-law, Pascipica Nyakerario,  the first accused for a year.

But she admitted that on the said day, Pascipica had passed by her house on her way to a funeral, confirming what her daughter-in-law, Pascipica had told the court in her defense.

According to Nyakerario, Sagini’s father, Mr. Thomas, and Alex Ochogo, the third accused, were at home but left for a drinking spree on the day the minor left home.

She was being cross-examined by prosecution lawyers Davin Biyaki and George Morara while  Winston Magara represented the three accused.

Junior Sagini was found a napier grass on December 14 2022 with his eyes gouged after hours after missing from home.

Pascipa Nyakerario, Rael Nyakerario, and Alex Ochogo denied a charge of causing actual bodily to Junior  Sagini at Ikuruma village, Marani sub-county, Kisii county between December 13 and 14 2022.

They pleaded not guilty to the charge and were denied bond.