Gor Mahia held by Ushuru

Meddie Kagere strikes against Ushuru FC goalkeeper Shaban Odhoji and Kelal Ogal during their Kenyan Premier League match at the Nyayo National stadium in Nairobi on July 17, 2016.

Boos and howls greeted Gor Mahia’s timid 0-0 stalemate with an obdurate Ushuru FC as the champions failed to capitalise on leaders Tusker FC’s earlier slip and close the gap at the top in a patchy Kenyan Premier League (KPL) clash at Nairobi’s Nyayo National Stadium.

Ken Kenyatta’s side contained the team they have never beaten in the top-flight with K’Ogalo’s vaunted strike force of Jacques Tuyisenge, Meddie Kagere and Baron Oketch failing to find the breakthrough even in the 93rd minute of added time when mayhem reigned in the taxmen’s box.

Elsewhere, John ‘Bobby’ Ogolla notched his first win with Muhoroni Youth after his charges mailed back visiting Posta Rangers to Nairobi with a 2-1 victory stamp as Bandari FC faced the bleak long trip back to Mombasa with a 1-0 defeat at Sony Sugar ringing in their ears.

Bottom side Sofapaka FC surrendered the lead at Kakamega Homeboyz to settle for a 1-1 draw with the improved performance credited to the return of their flamboyant President, Elly Mboni Kalekwa, to the country.

Tusker who were denied victory in the last minute of added time earlier on Sunday in a 2-2 draw with Chemelil Sugar lead the standings on 36 points, five clear of K’Ogalo who jumped over Mathare United who drew 1-1 with AFC Leopards on Saturday to second on goal difference. Both are tied on 31.

The chill at Nairobi’s Nyayo National Stadium extended to the pitch as the champions failed to ignite their challenge for a record fourth successive title after dropping points for the second game in a row against opposition their superior quality ought to have put to bed.

Minutes to the end of the 90 and in time added on, frustrated K’Ogalo fans started cat-calls against their team’s lethargy in labouring against a side that parked the proverbial bus and invited them to attack in the second half after rattling them in the first.

It was an all too familiar story for the former Brazil international, Marcelo ‘Ze Maria’ Ferreira who saw his team’s enterprise neutered by back to the wall defending for the second weekend in a row after a 1-1 draw against Kakamega with match officials once again contriving to dull the spectacle in the closing half with unnecessary stoppages.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *