Gachagua Assures Flood, Landslide Victims of Government’s Support

By Lauryne Akoth

Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has assured residents affected by ongoing heavy rains of the government’s support.

Gachagua on Tuesday stated that families who have been displaced from their homes will get humanitarian support until the time they will go back to their homes.

He asked people living in high-risk areas to move to safer areas as the government was working to offer temporary shelter and food among other necessities.

The DP spoke at Ngutu primary school in Mathioya Sub County which is currently hosting more than 52 families which were affected by a Sunday night landslide at Kijango village that left six people dead.

Leading other leaders to offer food among other personal items, Gachagua pleaded with those living within landslide-prone areas to heed the government’s directive and move to safe places.

“Don’t wait to be affected by a landslide. If experts have warned your area can be hit by the disaster, just move. The government is working to cater for the expenses of those who have been displaced and affected by the ongoing rains,’’ he said.

Image
The Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua and Hon Iringa Kang’ata in Murang’a. Photo | Courtesy

On Sunday night, a landslide engulfed approximately three acres of land, obliterating three residences where a mother, her three children, a man, and his wife tragically lost their lives.

Over 52 families residing nearby, facing the looming threat of further landslides, were relocated to Ngutu Primary School for safety.

At the same time, a team of Murang’a legislators led by Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro who visited the victims earlier in the day said some funds are usually allocated in both national and county governments to cater for emergency cases.

Ndindi who chairs the Parliamentary Committee on Budget has asked accounting officers of government agencies entrusted to handle disasters to release the funds and assist victims of the devastating rains.

He noted that Parliament will approve the utilized funds on the emergencies later saying due to the havoc caused by heavy rains, the Constitution allows the use of funds before approval to save lives.

Read More: Ndindi Nyoro Urges Treasury To Release Funds To Aid Flood–Affected Kenyans

“The emergencies caused by heavy rains are devastating and have negatively impacted many families across the country. There are monies allocated to handle emergencies in both county and national budgets. The Constitution allows prior use of the funds based on public finance structures when a disaster strikes and then expenditure approval be done later,” added Ndindi.

The government, he assured, will support the affected families to resume normal lives. On his part, Murang’a Senator Joe Nyutu asked the county government of Murang’a to use money meant for emergencies to support the families that were hit by the landslide.

Nyutu highlighted that the County possesses nearly Sh. 200 million from the equitable fund designated for emergencies, which could be utilized to facilitate the relocation of the affected families.

He emphasized that their land had been utterly devastated, leaving no suitable space for the burial of those who lost their lives in the tragedy.

The County Woman Representative Betty Maina said officers from the Ministry of Interior assisted by those from the Red Cross should assess and inspect all high-risk areas and advise locals to relocate to safer areas.