CORD has maintained that the protest rallies to push for the removal of electoral commission officials will proceed despite Deputy President William Ruto’s assurance that the government was ready for dialogue with the opposition.
The Coalition for Reforms and Democracy’s management committee members James Orengo and Johnstone Muthama said at a press conference held on Friday that the coalition would not relent in its push to have the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission officials resign.
The Siaya Senator,James Orengo, announced that the Monday protest rallies across the country would be preceded by build-up rallies to be held on Saturday at Mathare slums and Mlolongo.He also announced that he held a meeting with Kanu Secretary-General Nick Salat who assured him that the Independence party fully supported the protests and would participate in the Monday rally.
Mr Muthama expressed doubts about the government’s commitment to national dialogue over the poll team and myriad other challenges facing the nation saying the President had previously declared that the commission “is going nowhere”.
Mr Orengo said any talks with the government must be structured.