Eight rescued after Kapsabet building collapses

Tens of people are feared trapped in rubble following the collapse of a building in Kapsabet town, Nandi county, on Thursday. Witnesses said the three- storey building had been under construction and that 60 workers were on site at the time.

Eight people including children had been rescued by press time and had fractures and bruises.

They were taken to Kapsabet referral hospital.

Rescue efforts were hampered by heavy rainfall but members of the public and constructors volunteered equipment. Red Cross personnel and volunteers are among those making frantic rescue efforts. Some of those trapped cried out so they could be found.

The building owner has been identified as one R Simani who authorized work this morning. It is said the building collapsed because of the use of substandard materials and improper supervision by the National Construction Authority.

The building was an extension of a private facility known as Meswo Healthcare Services. It was to have five storeys with facilities including wards.