Government Pledges Support to Victims’ Families That Lost Their Loved Ones

By Tajeu Shadrack Nkapapa

President William Ruto has pledged that the government of Kenya is going to support the victims of families that lost their loved ones in the anti-government protests for the last five weeks.

The President has expressed deep regrets for the young Kenyans who have lost their lives during the protest.

“It is with deep regret that I have to say that many Kenyans lost their lives, and others have been seriously injured as a result of disturbances occasioned by lawless activity during the protests,” President Ruto said.

“This is not how and where our democracy should proceed, and we must do all we can to ensure that this does not occur again in future. The government will provide support to the families of those citizens who lost their loved ones,” he added.

The President further directed the criminal justice agency to take effective measures and released all citizens of Kenya who were caught on the wrong side of the law during the protest and charges were withdrawn against all of them.

“There have been many instances of excessive, unlawful, dangerous and harmful conduct during protests and as a consequence, many have been arrested and charged,” said the President.

“I urge the criminal justice agency to take effective measures and ensure that people who were caught on the wrong side of things are released and charges against them withdrawn,” he stated.

In a Press Briefing at State House, Nairobi on Wednesday afternoon 24th July 2024, the President said that all violations by police officers must be handled expeditiously through due process to give Kenyans a police service that upholds the highest standards of integrity.

He further announced the government’s intention to support Kenyans whose businesses were destroyed during the protest in their struggle to recover the losses.

“Over the last month, the livelihoods and property of many innocent people have been destroyed therefore, the government will support these Kenyans on the path to recovery of their business,” he added.