Key roads to be closed in Nairobi

Various roads to the city center and also a terminus bus station in Nairobi will be closed down partially as the city prepares to host a Japan-Africa conference this week, TICAD-VI.

This was said by Internal Security Secretary Amos Gathecha during a security preparatory briefing to journalists.

The roads listed to be closed will include City Hall Way, Parliament Road, Harambee Avenue, Taifa Road and areas around the Hilton and Intercontinental hotels.

Providing insight on the above, Gachecha added that the roads known as the ‘red zone’ will be officially closed on August 25, 2016, and will not be opened until midnight on August 29, 2016.

“Anybody who is going to the red zone must be accredited.

“No single vehicle will be allowed into the red zone if it is not accredited,” he told a news conference at the InterContinental Hotel.

“We have mapped out all the hotels where the guests are going to stay and we have done what we call dry runs.

“We have organised adequate security in the hotels. So far 67 hotels have indications of booking,” he said.

Gachecha added that a temporary lane will be provided to serve as a temporary terminus for the buses since the KenCom bus stage which mostly serves matatus plying the Community, Yaya Centre, and Hurlingham routes will not be in use during this time.

However, this is not the first time Nairobi key roads have been closed following an event involving special dignitaries from all over the globe who visit Kenya for a conference at KICC.