No letup in ongoing matatu crackdown, authorities maintain

A total of 1,690 Public Service Vehicles (PSV) and 451 motorcycles have been impounded in Central Region since the crackdown on the implementation of Michuki rules commenced on Monday.

At the same time, Central Regional Commissioner, Wilson Njega said 3,481 individuals had been arrested and arraigned before court for flouting various traffic offenses.

Speaking today during a media briefing in his office, Njega said there would be no letup in the ongoing exercise until the rules were followed to the letter and order restored in the matatu industry.

“We will sustain this crackdown until there is full compliance with all the traffic rules,” maintained the Regional boss.

He reported that all those vehicles that have been impounded will not be allowed back on the road until they have complied with the requirements including being fitted with functional speed governors and seat belts as well as have a continuous yellow line for easy identification.

He said it will no longer be business as usual and that punishment for traffic offenses will not only be meted out on the drivers alone but also on the sacco that the matatu belongs to as well as the owner.

“Apart from charging the driver, we will also take action against the owner as well as the sacco to which that vehicle belongs,” said Njega.

He continued that the exercise will also target to rid matatu stages of criminal gangs extorting money from operators in the name of managing routes.

The Regional boss said there was no one allowed to levy illegal taxes on vehicles.

“As long requisite levies are paid to the government, no other person is allowed to collect money from public service vehicles,” Njega said.