Sonko wants county to pay families of Huruma victims

 

MikeThe government has announced that not all the unsafe buildings in Huruma will be demolished, even as Nairobi Senator Mike Sonko Mbuvi plans to sue the county government for negligence following a building collapse in the area on April 29 that claimed 51 lives.

Mr Sonko had hired six lawyers as he sues the county government on behalf of families of victims so they can be compensated.”.

3All these lives have been lost due to the negligence and laziness and the authorities must be made to pay. In fact, the county government has already admitted liability and fired some officials,” said the senator.

Mr Sonko defended residents against a declaration by the county government that they ought to have checked with it on whether the building was fit for habitation.

Separately, Public Works PS Paul Mwangi said 12 of the 70 buildings marked for demolition were “salvageable” and a committee had been set up to look into ways to make them safe.

“If there is a way some of the buildings can be strengthened, even if through additional reinforcement, then it makes more sense to take that option,” Mr Mwangi said yesterday.

The PS seemed to slow down after his declaration last week that demolitions would go on even if property owners obtain court orders to stop them.