A memorial service for the nine girls who died in the Moi Girls School dormitory fire will be held on Thursday. In a statement on Wednesday, the school’s administration invited parents, students and friends to join them for prayers at the school from 10am.
All the victims of the September 2 tragedy have been identified. Government pathologist Johansen Oduor led a team of experts in the exercise using DNA provided by parents and relatives.
Among those identified are Alakir Malong, Esther Mose, Hannah Jeiso, Hawa Awuor, Mercia Ogello, Natalia Nanga and Whitney Kerubo. Speaking at Chiromo Mortuary on Tuesday, National Disaster Management Unit deputy director Pius Masai said relatives will be counseled.
A 14-year-old who was arrested over the incident appeared last week before Children’s Court magistrate Teresia Nyangena. The magistrate allowed police to hold her for seven days in the case that will be mentioned today.
Education CS Fred Matiang’i said the fire was an arson and that investigators were pursuing leads for the arrest of the suspects. He noted conflicts regarding leaderships in schools cannot be resolved by burning them.